The State of Tennessee and Federal IRS have specific laws regarding donations to campaigns. In order to follow these I need to say first that campaign donations are not tax deductible.
Regarding how to make a donation, you may send it to:
Robert C. Donaghy, Treasurer
3815 Woodcrest Circle, NW
Cleveland, TN 37312
Please make checks payable to: Sandra Donaghy Campaign Fund
Here are the Tennessee Laws (remember there are two election cycles – primary and general):
If you give more than $50.00:
It must be by check.
For each donor you must provide your name, address, occupation, and employer.
Limits for contributions are:
- Judicial candidates may not accept funds for the general election cycle until February 7, 2014;
- $50.00 is the cash donation limit (per person per election cycle). For example, a husband and wife could give $100.00 per cycle;
- $1500.00 is the donation limit by check (per person per election cycle). For example, a husband and wife could give $3,000.00 per cycle; and
- If the check is written out of business account the limit is still $1,500.00 (per person per election cycle) for the business types below. The check can exceed $1,500.00 if documentation is provide4d to show each donor’s information, for example a law firm could give $6,000.00, which would be $1,500 for each of four partners; and
- Limited Liability Companies (LLC’s)
- Limited Partnerships (LP’s)
- Limited Liability Partnerships (LLP’s)
- General Partnerships; and
- Should the business check be from a corporation, the limit is $250.00 for both election cycles and only one candidate can receive the donation, even if the check is less than $250.00.